Nigerian Bitterleaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu)
Notes on the ingredients:
- If you are outside Nigeria, you can use dried, washed and squeezed bitter leaves but you need to first of all make the bitter leaves soft and fresh again before adding them to the soup.
- If you cannot buy cocoyam where you live, you can use cocoyam flour. An alternative to cocoyam flour is potato flour. cocoyam flour or potato flour before adding it to your soup .
- Ogiri Igbo is optional, it gives Bitterleaf Soup a traditional taste.
Before you cook Bitterleaf Soup
- Make sure that the bitter leaves are well washed, such that there is no trace of bitterness left. If not, wash and squeeze it more. If the bitterness cannot be completely washed off (which is usually the case with most washed bitter leaves sold in the market), boil it for about 15 minutes and wash in cold water.
- Wash and cook the cocoyam till soft. Remove the peels and use a mortar and pestle to pound it to a smooth paste (as shown).
- Boil the shaki (cow tripe), stock fish and dry fish in 1 litre of water till they are well done. First sign of a done shaki is that the cuts will start curling on itself.
- Wash the beef and add to the pot of shaki etc. and continue cooking. When the meat is done, add 3 cubes of Maggi/Knorr or whichever natural seasoning you have around you for taste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pepper, ground crayfish, bitter leaves (if they have not been parboiled) and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the cocoyam paste (in small lumps) and the palm oil then go to step 5.
Note: If the bitter leaves were parboiled to remove the bitterness, then for step 3; add pepper, ground crayfish, the cocoyam paste (in small lumps), the bitter leaves and the palm oil. In other words, add all the ingredients at this stage.
- Cover the pot and leave to cook on high heat till all the cocoyam lumps have dissolved. You can add more water if you feel that the soup is too thick.
- Add salt to taste and the soup is ready
Whenever someone got addicted to cold and then using medication and during this he or she should use some warm recopies like soup. This website https://myassignments-help.com.au/best-thesis-writing-services/ is giving techniques of corn making that everyone can follow and have enjoyed.