Nigerian Kunun Gyada
Posted in: Breakfast / Brunch
Sat, Sep 9, 2017, 08:59, 1 Year ago
0 out of 5 with 0 ratings
Notes on the ingredients
- You must use RAW groundnuts (peanuts) for Kunun Gyada.
- You can buy tamarind and raw groundnuts from African and South American food shops all over the world.
- Use the soft variety of rice, the type used for Tuwo Shinkafa when making Kunun Gyada.
- Add tamarind to your taste. For the above quantities of ingredients, I used 3 three-in-a-pod tamarinds.
Before you make Kunun Gyada
- Soak the rice for at least 8 hours.
- Soak the raw groundnuts (peanuts) for 3 hours.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water till soft and extract the juice as shown in the video below. Set aside.
- When soaked, blend the groundnuts with 400 mls of water and extract the groundnut milk as detailed in the Groundnut Milk recipe.
- Blend the rice with 200 mls of water and set aside.
Directions for making Kunun Gyada
- Pour the groundnut milk into a pot and start cooking on medium heat. Stir it all the time so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pots. Lumps will also form fi you do not stri it often.
- When it boils, slowly add the rice blend while stirring at the same time.
- When it boils again, add the tamarind juice.
- Keep stirring and once it heats up again, it is ready to be served.
Serve Kunun Gyada hot/warm with Akara (Kosai) or drink on its own as a comfort drink
150g raw groundnuts (peanuts50g soft rice variety 600 mls cool water Tamarind (Tsamiya) to your taste