Bread and Butter Pudding
Posted in: Breads / Rolls
Wed, Sep 13, 2017, 05:15, 1 Year ago
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
- Preheat the oven to 180º C / 350º F / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the cream with the milk and add the sugar and saffron strands.
- Whisk the eggs and add them to the cream mixture.
- Butter a deep ovenproof dish 15cm x 22cm / 6in x 9in, put into it a layer of bread, then sprinkle over some papaya/raisins/apricots/mangoes and nuts.
- Add another layer of bread then some more nuts and papaya.
- Pour the cream mixture over the bread and put the dish into the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the surface is a rich golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Tip: Add a pinch of nutmeg and another of cinnamon to the cream mixture.
250ml double cream65 ml milk50 g castor sugar3-4 saffron strands3 eggsA little butter for greasing6 slices white bread, buttered and sliced into 4 triangles50 g ready-to-eat dried papaya, finely chopped (Here papaya has been substituted for the sultanas or raisins. But you could also try dried apricots or even mangoes.)25 g pistachio nuts, crushed